The City of Victorville values your business and we want to make every effort to help your establishment remain in operation with modified adjustments. Victorville staff is standing by to help your business open with an outdoor operation, particularly using public sidewalks or parking lots.
Pursuant to Section 2.36.080(6)(A) of the Victorville Municipal Code and as authorized by Proclamation No. 20-01 and City Council Resolution No. 20-011, the Director of Emergency Services has provided the following allowances for the operation of various businesses outdoors. These allowances are applicable to legally operating businesses within the City of Victorville as noted. The allowances included herein shall be valid during the declared local emergency and are subject to change based upon public health orders issued by the State of California or the County of San Bernardino as applicable.
In response to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Statewide Public Health Order dated July 13, 2020, outdoor business operations are permitted for the following business types without an initial review/approval by the City of Victorville. All businesses providing outdoor operations listed herein do not require approval of a Temporary Use Permit (TUP) and shall comply with the “General Outdoor Operation Guidelines” noted herein.
- Gyms and fitness centers
- Offices for non-critical infrastructure sectors
- Hair Salons and Barbershops
- Personal Care Services including esthetic, skin care, cosmetology, nail services, and massage therapy (in non-healthcare settings)
In response to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Statewide Public Health Order dated July 13, 2020, outdoor business operations are permitted for the following business types with additional requirements outlined in the “Special Outdoor Operation Guidelines” as applicable. All businesses providing outdoor operations listed herein shall comply with the “General Outdoor Operation Guidelines” and some businesses may require approval of a Temporary Use Permit (TUP) as noted.
- Bars, pubs, brewpubs, and breweries (TUP is required)
- Family Entertainment Centers (No TUP Required)
- Places of Worship (No TUP Required)
- Malls (No TUP Required)
In response to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Statewide Public Health Order dated July 13, 2020, outdoor business operations are prohibited for the following business types. These businesses are prohibited from operating outdoors due to the requirements of their licensing authorities (e.g. San Bernardino County Department of Public Health) and/or existing regulations approved by the State of California (e.g. Safe Body Art Act & Outdoor Personal Care Services Guidance).
- Personal care services including tattoo parlors, piercing services, and electrology.
The following guidelines shall be adhered to for any business permitted to provide outdoor operations.
- Outdoor operations should not block required Fire Department access.
- Outdoor operations areas should not block ADA paths of travel or ADA parking spaces.
- Outdoor operations may be conducted on the private storefront sidewalk in front of the store, within secondary drive aisles of the parking lot and within parking spaces
- No more than half of the required parking spaces may be obstructed by outdoor operation areas.
- All outdoor operations areas should be properly delineated with cones or some other means of identifying the separated space from the rest of the property.
- The outdoor operation area may not encroach into the Public Right-of-Way without the approval of the City’s Engineering Department.
- Shall comply with the City’s noise ordinance outlined in Sections 13.01.040 & 13.01.050 Victorville Municipal Code (V.M.C.).
- Outdoor operation areas shall be safely and appropriately arranged such that social distancing protocols are adhered to (e.g. at least six feet separation in all directions).
- Any business conducting outdoor operations should not perform a service that would require a customer to have to enter the establishment.
- No more than 1 side wall shall be allowed for any tent/canopy utilized for outdoor operations and sufficient outdoor air movement shall be maintained.
- Any tent/canopy (no sidewalls) or combined canopies totaling less than 700 square feet in size do not require a permit from the City of Victorville.
- All tents/canopies shall be properly designed and installed with anchors to withstand winds and prevent from collapsing.
- A fire extinguisher is required within each tent or canopy.Additional fire extinguishers are required for spans over 75 feet.
- All tents and canopies shall be made of flame-resistant fabric that is approved and listed by the State of California Fire Marshal.
- Cooking shall not be allowed in tents or canopies.
- Any restaurant wishing to serve alcoholic beverages outside shall contact the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) to obtain any necessary permits and shall comply with all ABC guidelines. If ABC requires City authorization, please utilize the approval letter found here.
- For more detailed information regarding tents/canopies, please contact the City of Victorville’s Fire Prevention office at 760-955-5227.
- Any business providing outdoor operations shall comply with the applicable Conditions of Approval outlined in any associated Conditional Use Permit or Interim Use Permit.
- All businesses providing outdoor operations shall comply with all applicable State, County, and local standards relating to outdoor business operations (including but not limited to those provided by Cal/OSHA, California Department of Public Health, San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, etc.).
- All businesses providing outdoor operations shall comply with applicable State Industry Guidance including but not limited to the following:
- Dine-in Restaurant Guidance
- Outdoor Dining Guidance
- Restaurant, Bars, and Wineries Guidance
- Retail Guidance
- Movie Theater and Family Entertainment Center Guidance
- Zoo and Museum Guidance
- Outdoor Hair Salon and Barbershop Guidance
- Outdoor Personal Care Services Guidance
The following guidelines shall be adhered to for those businesses identified as being permitted to provide outdoor operations with special requirements.
- Bars, pubs, brewpubs, and breweries
- Temporary Use Permit (TUP) required to be obtained prior to outdoor operations.
- Proper licensing shall be obtained through the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.
- Sit-down, outdoor, dine-in meals shall be offered, and alcohol may only be sold in the same transaction as the meal.
- Contract food vendors shall comply with all Fire Department standards.
- Contract food vendors shall maintain proper licensure from the City of Victorville, San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, and the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.
- Outdoor operations shall not exceed those allowances approved in conjunction with an associated Conditional Use Permit (e.g. hours of operation and/or accessory uses shall not be expanded/increased).
- Lapse of approved TUP shall be adjusted to occur upon termination of declared local emergency, verified non-compliance with operating standards or associated licenses, and/or applicable health officer orders
- Family Entertainment Centers
- Shall utilize existing outdoor entertainment apparatus.
- Amusement Park rides shall remain closed.
- TUP not required.
- Places of Worship
- Services/functions provided outdoors shall not exceed those allowances approved in conjunction with an associated Conditional Use Permit (e.g. times and frequency of approved services/functions shall not be increased).
- TUP not required.
- Businesses with private outdoor entrances shall be permitted to operate in accordance with State guidance on retails; however, all interior connections to public space and other businesses shall remain closed.
- No TUP required for interior accessed businesses providing outdoor service or operations, unless otherwise specifically restricted.