Victorville was incorporated on September 21, 1962, as a general law city with a population of approximately 8,110 and an area of 9.7 square miles.
Prior to incorporation the community had a history which goes back over 100 years, when the first settlers of European descent arrived.
In about 1885, the community was known as Victor. It was named after Jacob Nash Victor, a construction superintendent for the California Southern Railroad (Santa Fe Railroad).
The town was established as a result of the original railroad station constructed approximately one mile northwest of the narrows of the Mojave River.
In 1901, the community's name was changed by the United States Post Office from "Victor" to "Victorville" due to the confusion associated with the community of Victor, Colorado.
In 1926, U.S. Route 66 was established, which was one of the main arteries of the National Highway System linking Chicago, Illinois, with California. Seventh Street and "D" Street were a part of this national highway.