Victorville, CAHome Menu
Residential Trash & Recycling Collection Guidelines
Trash and recycling collection service is mandatory for all occupied premises in the City of Victorville, and it is the City's desire to provide you with the best possible service. We ask for your cooperation by complying with the Residential Trash & Recycling Guidelines for automated collections.
Reminder: Recycling is mandatory in the city, per Victorville Municipal Code Chapter 6.36 and 6.37. Recyclables must be kept separate from trash and must be placed in designated recycling containers.
Automated Collection Dos and Don'ts
- Do put trash and recycling carts at the curb by 6 a.m. of your scheduled pick-up day.
- Do put carts with wheels against the curb and handles facing your home.
- Do put carts at least 3 feet away from cars, mailboxes, and other barrels.
- Do place trash in bags and tie them shut before putting in the trash cart (to reduce litter). It also helps to put loose papers into a paper grocery bag before dropping into the blue recycling cart.
- Do use the blue cart for recyclables only.
- Do use green or black carts for trash and garden trimmings. (*See additional information below re: black vs. green carts.)
- Do keep lids closed.
- Do not put rocks, dirt, concrete, sod, sand or construction/demolition materials in your trash or recycle carts.
- Do not put more than 150 pounds in the carts. Overweight carts can not be dumped, and you will need to reduce the weight the cart so that it can be dumped. There is a $20.21 fee to have a trash truck return and re-service the cart once the weight has been reduced.
- Do not put recyclables in plastic bags. All materials should be loose in the blue recycling cart. Paper bags are ok in the blue recycle cart, but no plastic bags!
- Do not over-pack barrels or materials will get stuck and cart will not empty properly.
- Do not stack materials over the top rim of the cart or on top of the lids. Lids must be closed.
- Do not put hazardous or toxic materials like batteries, motor oil, pesticides, etc. in your carts. Take toxics to the City of Victorville Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center on Loves Lane for free disposal.
- Do not put trash in the recycling container. There is a $21.56 fee to have a trash truck return and re-service the recycle barrel as trash.
- Do not put recyclables in the trash barrel. Reminder: Recycling is mandatory per Chapter 6.36 of the Victorville Municipal Code. Designated Recyclable Materials must be kept separate from trash. It is a violation of Chapter 6.36 to discard recyclables in the trash. Recyclables includes clean, dry paper and cardboard, glass bottles and jars, tin and aluminum cans and foil, and plastic bottles, jars, tubs, and trays.
Collection Day & Time Information
Collection Day: Trash and recyclables are collected once per week on the same day. If you don't know your collection day, call Victorville Disposal at (760) 245-8607.
Hours of Collection: Containers must be out for collection next to the curb by 6:00 a.m. of your scheduled day. Containers must be removed within 12 hours after collection.
Residents must use the City hauler-provided automated containers for trash and recycling collection. The green (or black) container is 95-gallons in size and is for regular trash and garden trimmings. The blue container is 60-gallons in size and is to be used for recycling.
Note: There is not a separate container for garden trimmings at the present time. All garden trimmings should be placed in your trash container.
Note: All materials must be placed in the containers in order to be collected. Trash left on the ground next to the containers will not be collected.
Explanation of Black vs. Green Trash Carts
The City's hauler is converting trash carts from a green color to black. Some customers have green trash carts and others have black trash carts. New customers receive black carts and any broken or damaged green trash carts are replaced by new black trash carts. Over time, all carts for refuse/trash will all be converted to black.
Note: As of October 2022, the City and Victorville Disposal have started a residential organics pilot program for 640 homes in the Wednesday service area of the City. Homes in this area have three carts: BLUE for RECYCLING; GREEN for ORGANICS; and BLACK for TRASH. Starting summer of 2023, the city will implement residential organics collection (green barrel) city-wide. At that point, any remaining old green "trash" carts will be exchanged for new black carts.
Damaged Container Exchanges
If your container is damaged (i.e. broken or missing lid/wheels or cracks/holes in the container), please call Victorville Disposal/Burrtec Waste at (760) 245-8607 to request a replacement container. City Customer Service Representatives at (760) 955-5001 can also arrange for a replacement for you. Containers damaged as a result of normal use will be replaced or repaired free of charge. If containers have been deliberately destroyed or vandalized by resident/homeowner, there will be a replacement charge.
Note: Automated containers are the property of the city’s franchised hauler. They are provided to each household, but they do not belong to the resident or property owner.
Extra Trash or Recyclables
If you have more trash each week than will fit into your black (or green) 95-gallon trash cart, you can obtain additional trash carts at a cost of $14.05 per month per container (includes the cost for collection and disposal of the extra trash). If most of your extra material is recyclable paper, then you may wish to order an extra recycling carts. There is no charge for the first extra recycling carts. Subsequent extra recycling carts are $1.81 per month per container.
Call a City Customer Service Representative at (760) 955-5001 to arrange for additional trash or recycling containers.
The City and Victorville Disposal are not responsible for spilled trash caused by weather, animals, birds, overfilled containers, or containers with open lids.
Contact Victorville Disposal at (760) 245-8607 as soon as possible on your scheduled day in order to resolve any concerns. Please make sure containers are at the curb by 6:00 a.m. to avoid missed collections.
Section 6.36.080 of the Victorville Municipal Code states that the property owner of record is responsible for payment of the solid waste fees. Fees for single-family residential trash and recycling service are billed on a monthly basis after service is provided.
Monthly Residential Fees as of July 1, 2020
|Solid Waste Services||$30.77|
|Sewer Use Fee (for single family homes connected to sewer system)||$51.89|
|Storm Drain Fee||$ 4.00|
|Household Hazardous Waste Fee||$ 0.32|