Why Must Businesses Recycle?
Recycling is mandatory for commercial businesses and organizations in the City of Victorville. Chapter 6.36 of the Victorville Municipal Code requires the separation of "Designated Recyclable Materials" from trash. This includes papers, cardboard, bottles, cans, and plastic containers. Per Section 6.36.113 of the Municipal Code, it is unlawful to place designated recyclables in solid waste containers.
In addition, California State Law Assembly Bill 341 mandates that all California businesses (including public entities) generating four (4) or more cubic yards of waste per week and multi-family residential dwellings of five (5) units or more must arrange for recycling services. AB 341 went into effect July 1, 2012. It established a State-wide goal that 75% of solid waste generated be source reduced, recycled, or composted by the year 2020 and every year thereafter.
Who is Affected?
California businesses (including public entities) generating four (4) or more cubic yards of waste per week and multi-family residential dwellings of five (5) units or more must arrange for recycling services.
What Must Businesses Do?
Take at least one or more of the following actions:
- Source separate recyclable materials from solid waste and subscribe to a basic level of recycling service that includes on-site collection.
- Self-haul, or make other arrangements for the pickup of recyclable materials.
- Utilize mixed waste processing service that yields diversion results comparable to source separation.
What Must the City Do?
- Implement a commercial recycling program to divert solid waste from businesses and multi-family units subject to AB 341.
- Educate, outreach to, and monitor affected businesses/multifamily dwellings.
- Notify a business if the business is not in compliance with AB 341.
Victorville Municipal Code Mandates Recycling
Victorville Municipal Code Sections 6.36.110 and 6.36.113 require "Designated Recyclable Materials" to be kept separate from solid waste and prohibits them from being disposed in trash.
The City, through its hauler Victorville Disposal, can provide for on-site recycling service for commingled recyclables, “buy back” roll-off service for cardboard, and even small blue cart service. If you wish to self-haul, we can provide you with a list of local recycling outlets.
The City of Victorville Recycling Program Can Help You
We can help you to establish or enhance your recycling program! City staff can visit your location to do a recycling assessment, provide recommendations and alternatives for service changes, and provide free educational materials for your employees, staff, and tenants. We will also provide on-going assistance to troubleshoot, re-educate, and enhance your program. Call us at (760) 955-8615 to schedule a free visit!