Following is a partial list of home improvements that require permits:
- Addition or alteration to existing mechanical, plumbing, or electrical (including installation of new HVAC units, upgrading or relocating electrical service, etc.)
- Demolition of buildings (interior and exterior)
- Garage conversion
- Garage or carport
- Guest house
- Lawn sprinklers
- Mobile home carport, awning or earthquake bracing
- Mobile home set down
- Patio cover
- Patio enclosure
- Re-roofing, over 1 square (100 square feet)
- Retaining or garden wall
- Room addition
- Septic tank replacement
- Sewer hook up
- Slab with footings
(on-site flat concrete work, such as sidewalks or driveways, does not require permits; for curb cutting – see the Engineering Department)
- Storage shed (over 120 square feet)
- Swimming pool or spa (18 inches deep or deeper)
Note: AQMD Permits
The Mojave Desert Air Quality Management District (District) requires that all equipment with the potential to emit air pollutants (including air toxics and hazardous air pollutants) have a valid District permit prior to commencing construction and/or operation.
See the AQMD site for more information...
Answers to Questions You May Have
- How do I obtain copies of old plans/permits or plans/permits that I have lost?
To obtain copies of plans or permits, complete the Public Records Request form and mail or deliver it to the Building Division offices at City Hall.
- How long before a permit expires? How do I request an extension?
A permit will expire after six months from the last inspection. To request an extension, complete the Request for Permit Extension form and mail or deliver it to the Building Division offices at City Hall. Call 760.955.5100 if you have questions or require assistance.
The Development department has put together several informational brochures. All brochures are in Acrobat pdf format.
- Touchtone Permits Guide
The City of Victorville uses Touchtone Permits, an automated telephone service. With Touchtone Permits, you can schedule inspections, cancel inspections, get inspection results, and check plan review status 24/7. This guide provides all of the information and phone numbers you'll need to get started.
- Miscellaneous Permits Application and Inspection Guidelines
This handy guide can help you through the permit process for: re-roofing, installing walls or fences, electric meter upgrading, and gas-line air test.
This guide includes basic directions for using Touchtone Permits.