Engineering Division

The Engineering Division of the Public Works Department of the City of Victorville is a multi-faceted division, providing various engineering and land surveying services throughout the City. The Engineering Division, headed by the City Engineer, is responsible for any new infrastructure within the City limits. This includes improvements to existing infrastructe as well. Any new development or tract will need to get routed through the Engineering Division for approval. The division also oversees any capital improvements, i.e. projects that improve the "capital" value of the City's infrastructure. Many of the capital projects are designed by in-house staff. Staff expertise includes the design of roadways, sewer lines, domestic water system (lines, reservoirs, pumps, etc.), and storm drainage facilities throughout the City.

The Engineering division provides the following services:

  • Checking of engineering plans for development
  • Surveying
  • Civil Design
  • Contract Administration and Management for Capital Improvement Projects
  • Inspection for Public Works Improvement Projects
  • Traffic Control Studies and Design Functions
  • Support Engineering for Airport , Redevelopment Agency and Water District
  • GIS Basemap Support

The links below will provide more detailed information:

 COV/VWD Schedule of Utility Fees, Charges, and Deposits (Rev. July 1, 2016)



Projects of Interest by Other Agencies

High Desert Corridor

Yucca Loma Bridge

Questions & Answers

How do I find the locations of underground utilities, like sewer, water, & storm drain?
The City is currently developing a geographic information system (GIS) for access by the public. In the meantime, you may send an e-mail to the
Engineering Division to locate water or storm drains. If you need to locate sewer mains, please go to the "For Engineers & Developers" page under the "General Design Requirements & Aids" section. If you are getting ready to dig, call 811.

I need specific information from the City. What is the proper way to acquire that information?
If the information you need requires some research, then complete a
Research Request Authorization Form (also available under the "General Design Requirements & Aids" on the "For Engineers & Developers" page).  If you want specific information or a specific document, then complete apublic records request and we will respond within 10 working days from your request.

Where do I go to find information about drainage around my property?
A master plan of drainage within the city limits of Victorville was prepared for the San Bernardino County Flood Control District.  The city has four drainage basins within its boundaries. Those basins are in order of area: 1) Oro Grande [Victorville], 2)
Baldy Mesa, 3) Hesperia & 4)Adelanto Master Plan of Drainage.  These can be purchased from the San Bernardino County Flood Control District by calling (909) 387-8120.

Who do I contact if I want to perform construction in City right-of-way, such as in the street? How do I schedule an inspector?
To work within City right-of-way, you must obtain a
Construction and/or Excavation Permit.  If you are not going to perform construction, like traffic control for example, then you will simply need anEncroachment Permit.  After you obtain your permit, an inspection will get scheduled.  Follow theinstructions on your permit for scheduling inspections.

How do I report a broken street light?
To report a street light problem, contact the Southern California Edison street light reporting line at (800) 611-1911. You will be asked:

  • The nearest address to the location of the street light.
  • Street light pole number which is located on the curb side of the pole on a tag approximately 6-ft up from the sidewalk.
  • The exact nature of the problem, such as broken, no light, flickers, goes off & on, etc.

Some of the roads I drive on need work.  When is the City going to repair these roads?
The roadways included in the CIP are based on a combination of degree of degradation and traffic volume.  Roadways receive a pavement condition index (PCI) rating ranging from 0 to 100, where 0 is a road that has totally failed and 100 is a brand new roadway in ideal condition.  While we would like to be able to fix all the roadways with a rating lower than 70, the budget only allows us to fix the highest priority projects in any given fiscal year based on a mathematical formula using the PCI rating and volume of traffic.  If your problem is minor, such as a pothole for example, you may contact our 
Maintenance Division at (760) 243-6365.

When is the CIP created and who makes the decision?
The CIP is approved on an annual basis by the City Council.  The proposed CIP is created by the 
City Engineer around March to May for presentation to the City Council for the following fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).

How soon after you begin advertising a project does construction actually begin?
Typically, construction begins about two months after advertising begins.

I'm having an issue with a contractor performing work near my home/business but cannot find the project listed here.  Who do I call?
Not all construction projects within City right-of-way are funded by the City.  Utility companies and private development frequently perform work within our right-of-way with an encroachment permit from the Engineering Division.  Call (760) 955-5158 to report an issue and we will look into it.

How do I get a copy of the CIP?
You can download a copy of the CIP by clicking in the hyperlink in the second paragraph of the "Capital Improvement Projects" page.


Plan Check & Bond Questions

  • What is your plan check process?
    Tract Improvement Plans
    First, Improvement Plans must be submitted in a complete package.  Please go to our
    For Engineers & Developers web page to download plan submittal requirements.  The City staff then looks at the perimeter of the project area and reconciles the plans with any plans that are currently being reviewed or have just been approved. Staff normally tries to return submitted plans and reports within two weeks after receiving them.  However, each tract is different in size and complexity and the amount of time will vary from plan to plan.   For that reason, more complex plans may require more than two weeks.  Second, plan checks are sent directly back to the Engineer of Record once we have reviewed the plans.

    Commercial Plans
    Improvement Plans must be submitted in a complete package. They will be checked in-house as received. Please note that subsequent submittals shall be checked prior to first submittals.
  • What is the status of my plans?
    Call 760.243.6355 or 760.955.5162 to find out about the status of Commercial Plans, Improvement Plans or LMAD/ DFAD (Landscape or Wall Plans).

    Call 760.243.6357 to find out about the status of Parcel Maps of Final Tract Maps.
  • Where can I get answers to questions about my plan check comments?
    Please submit your questions in writing along with any graphics that may be helpful by faxing 760.955.5159 or you may email them directly to the Engineering Department.
  • What is your bond release process?
    A letter requesting that a specific bond for a particular tract is submitted along with a vicinity map (8.5”x11”) depicting the location of the tract.  The superintendent of the project must schedule a bond walk with an Engineering Inspector for that tract.  The inspector will provide a punch list to the superintendent.  Once the punch list is completed, the inspector is called and another meeting is rescheduled.  The inspector signs off that all items have been completed and approved.  The inspector will then provide written notification of approval to the Associate Civil Engineer in the Development Division of the Engineering Department.  The City Engineer will then place the bond request on the next available City Council Agenda for the appropriate action to be taken.



Grading Permits & Standard Specifications

  • How do I get my grading permit?
    For Tracts
    Once all of the improvement plans have been signed and the bonds are received and all items on the checklist have been completed and the Final Tract Map has been scheduled for City Council, then two approved signed and grading plans will be routed to the Building Department for processing.

    For Commercial
    The Engineering Department only reviews the grading plans of commercial projects that move more that 5,000 cubic yards of dirt or have street, storm drain and/or sewer improvements also required within the public right-of-way.  Once all of the improvement plans have been approved and signed, then two approved and signed grading plans will be routed to the Building Department for processing.

    To find out about obtaining a Grading Permit through the Building Department, please call 760.955.5102
  • Where can I get the Standard Specifications For Public Works Improvements? The Standard Specifications are available on theFor Engineers & Developers webpage.  You may also purchase a paper copy at the Engineering Division counter in City Hall for $25 plus tax.



Agreement Forms & Overtime

  • I need the Utility Surety Agreement, Development Agreement, and Subdivision Agreement forms and instructions on how to fill them out properly.
    These forms are posted on this website on the For Engineers & Developers webpage under "Agreements".  Directions and blank forms are available in PDF format.
  • Can we pay overtime to move our project ahead of others?
    No. All projects are taken in the order the full submittal package is received. They are kept in that order per the date stamp placed on the cover sheet of each set of the plans.  NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • Can the Engineering Division recommend a good Engineering Firm to hire?
    No, the Engineering Division does not provide recommendations.



Sewer Connections, Additional Drive, and Front Yard Fences

  • Is sewer available to my property?
    Please check our sewer atlas posted on the For Engineers & Developers page. Note: Property must be within the City limits of the City of Victorville. City sewer is not accessible to any property outside the City limits even though there are portions of County property within the City limits.  Some properties within the City limits will not be required to hook up to sewer if they are too far away from an existing main.  How far is "too far" is a judgment call by the City Engineer.
  • Can I have an additional drive approach?
    An inspector would be dispatched to the site to determine if this is possible.
  • Can I put up a wall/fence in my front yard? 
    An inspector is dispatched and right-of-way is determined. If allowed, maximum height is 36 inches.



Block Party Permits and Traffic Signals

  •  I want to close off my residential street to have a block party, what permits are required?
    This is not allowed. City streets and sidewalks are public right-of-way and cannot be closed to through traffic.
  •  I would like to have a traffic signal or stop sign installed at an intersection.
    Please submit your request in writing to the 
    City Traffic Engineer with all particular information. A traffic study will be generated to determine if warrants are met for your request.


Department Contacts

Mailing Address:
City of Victorville
Engineering Department
P.O. Box 5001
Victorville, CA 92393-500
Phone: 760. 955.5158
Fax: 760. 955.5159

Office Hours:
7:30 am-5:30 pm
Closed every Friday

Brian Gengler
City Engineer
R.C.E. 44730
T.E. 1860